Monday, June 02, 2008

Monday Tidbits

This weekend was full but good. On Friday, the kids cleaned (I supervised and cleaned the pantry/laundry room some more) the living room, kitchen, and bathroom in participation of having a little party for on of the Boy's Debate team members (I have written about her before) who was turning sixteen and hadn't ever had a party. She ended up coming over by herself on Saturday, and we ate fruit and chips, and gifted her with a ginormous chocolate cake, and a promise of a "real" party next year. And boy, did my living room just shine, it was so clean! Loved that I didn't have to do it, but wish it would get done with less constant supervision (Notice I didn't say "nagging".)

Early Saturday morning, the Dude and I headed for our local nursery, and got some more tomato plants, for a grand total of 38 plants this year. Less than we have had in the past, but they are in a smaller bed, and it is just crammed full! I also bought 2 peppers (which still have to go in the ground), two kinds of lettuces, bok choy, and some chard and kale starts. Those are all in the big bed now. All I have left is to plant some seeds: carrots, beets, radishes, and beans. Our friend from the debate team helped plant and did some weed-wacking with us. This most definitely is a young person I enjoy and would love to have hang around with me this summer.

I got a little bit of art done this weekend. Still plugging away at the lessons in the two online classes I am in. One of them has ended, the last lesson is delivered today on the other one. I still have four weeks to get stuff done for both of these classes before the yahoo groups are finished. I am making headway, but need to really push myself if I am to get the work done this month. Whose big idea was it for me to take these classes during a month when I was going to be traveling?!

Sunday I woke with a big headache that just got bigger and bigger as the day went on. I did do some studio work through it, but not as much as I would have liked. I didn't get over to see Gramma, either, which saddened me, but I will try to fit an extra visit in this week. I ended up sleeping much of the day, which was the right thing to do, as I awoke this morning feeling wiped, but not as headachey.

Today we have our art playdate, and are hopefully finishing up our fabric journals. After this, the girls want to start on sewing doll quilts, and doing some clay work for the summer. That should be fun! This has been a nice, low-key way to spend some time with three of my fave teen girls, and still do a bit of teaching.

TTFN,
LB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift you are giving debate girl, and the debate team! When do they leave for their big Vegas event? Are they excited?

Sounds like the garden is coming along ~ good for you! How many tomatoes did you have last year? I think we have 6 or 8:) Did you get some more manure? I think of y'all when I am tossing compost.

Good for you on the classes. You are "taking a bite" and learning what is yours to learn for now. Enjoy with out pressure seems wise and perfect to me.

Hug those growing up babies for me.

Thanks for sharing,

Pamela

Needleroozer said...

Hi Pammie,
They leave for Nationals on the 14th, and returning on the 21st. Excited yes, ready- I am not so sure. R really needs some more practice. He is performing in a talent showcase this Friday night, so I am looking forward to seeing how he does, and how ready he is.

The garden is coming along- we did get some more doo, and now I just need to get it into the ground, but with all this rain, that just hasn't happened. Maybe next week.
LB

Anonymous said...

Ah, teen age adrenaline and last minute prep some times works wonders for those kiddles. I think there was some of that the years Michael and I went to state for Drama (back in the late '70s!). Thanks for the update. I will put the Debate team on my calendar and send them well wishes and positive energy as they embark on what I am sure will be a life memory!

Good for you on the doo. Most of our beds still need "augmenting". I have actually "plopped" compost in a few places, "default experimenting" does passive composting benefit the beds? As it rains and settles surely nutrients are finding their way in. There seems to be some evidence that this is Hopefully I get out there and stir and twirl more of it into the dirt...and get more weeds out of the way:) Divine order ~ it’s all good ~ and country! We like to say ya gotta be fun and easy to live at Dancing Heart Farm!
Toodles,
P

Anonymous said...

Say, I just had a thought ~ Debate team is heading to Vegas pretty late in June. When's school out?

P

Needleroozer said...

The week he goes is the last week- Friday the 20th is the last day. He has been taking his finals early this week as they all happen that week. So this next week is his last week. He will be busy collecting phone numbers of the kids he wants to keep in contact with who aren't members of S & D.
LB