Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tidbits: Life is good.

Well, the Boy took 3rd in Washington state! He took 1st, 1st, and then 2nd in his 3 rounds, then took 3rd in finals! Woot! Woot!

Other amazing things for today:

I am very proud of all our kids- In addition to my Boy's 3rd place in H.I., we had a first in state for dramatic interp., and 3 finalists in H.I., as well as one in duo. 6 out of 7 of our kids went to finals.

I stretched myself and judged a humorous interp round, and a duo round- my first time judging. A bit stressful, but good to learn a new skill. His coach has been wanting me to judge for 2 yrs and I am glad I finally gave in.

I have to acknowledge my Fine Young Man here- I was sort of grumbling inwardly to myself that I thought he should have at least gotten second place, and was not feeling very gracious about the girl who took first place. I asked Boy what he thought about taking third, and he said he was so glad that the girl got first, as she is a senior and has really worked hard to improve her piece. He was so gracious it made me get off it fast and realize that he was right- she has really come far since the beginning of the year, and her piece really was very good. Is he not a Fine Young Man? He is actually capable of thinking of someone other than himself! He does listen, and I am not a lousy mother.

Another good thing: The High School Principal showed up for the final H.I. round, and stayed for the final ceremonies. The reason this is good? We are in danger of having the S & D program either cut completely, or the funds for it cut drastically next year. He was very impressed with the caliber of competition, the comraderie of the kids from different schools (very different than how competitor schools are treated in sports programs), and the commitment of the parents and teachers. This bodes well for the program continuing next fall.

I drove a total of 4 kids today, and one of them confided in me, and asked my if I would be her "mother figure". She and her brother lost her mother to a combo of MS and suicide when they were 10 and 12, and their dad is, well, tough. She has asked if she can come over and play in the studio with me. It made me feel good that I could be of service to her by simply listening.

All in all, a good day, but I am pooped. I think I may attend the church of the warm flannel sheets in the morning- I know it is Easter, but I am so tuckered!

Thanks for reading, and letting me brag on my Boy, and all my S & D kids and their coach- now we all get a break until it is time to start preparing for Nationals in June.

Happy Easter!
LB

7 comments:

Cassandra said...

Wow! What an amazing day! Congrats to the Fine Young Man, just as much for his graciousness to the winner as to his 3rd place. That graciousness will make him a winner in life wherever he goes! And kudos to Mom for stretching herself. A good day all around. No judgment here if you attended the Church of the Flannel Sheets this morning. There will be other Easters.

andie said...

How exciting! These moments make all the "WHAT have I DONE what is WRONG with THEM?!" moments worth it, huh? ;)

Bridget said...

That is so great, Congratulations to your fine young man. Sometimes they do surprise us and we look around to make sure that was our kids that said that.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to R. and to you. That is so great that he is doing so well. And gracious too! What more can a mom ask for! I bet judging can be kind of fun once the nervousness wears off (if it does). I went to the same church you were planning on Easter. I was gone the entire week before taking care of mom. She has been extremely weak, not able to care much for herself, so I was tuckered as well. I like that I can get on your blog and read what you and family are doing. It helps me to keep in touch. Love, LA

Lisa said...

Many congratulations to you for a job well done as a mom and a homeschooler, and a caring person!!! Congrats also to your son. What a gracious young man. No award could ever replace that.

I hope you had a restful Easter!

Needleroozer said...

Thank you everyone for the wonderful congratulations- I read them all the the Boy.

I did attend the church of flannel sheets- due to the Easter Bunny's (who did a fabu job) visit, and then cleaned the house and did laundry with Gramma. It was good to see her.

Sis: I am sorry to hear S is not doing so well. I send her my love. Call if you need to, and I am glad you are reading the blog.

Hugs to all,
LB

Anonymous said...

Yae FYM! He is such a lovely human being, as is PG, and her fine parents:)

Mmmm...house church has such lovely attributes. The Prince and I are regular attendees, along with periodic visits to the shared spiritual community. It's all good!

Trusting your celebration was lovely. My Seester made way nummy, slow roased, ham with a whole grain mustard, brown sugar, gingersnap crust. Yum!

Create a great day,

P