Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Garden update

Well, after reading about everything that KathyJo and Ernie are up to on their new farm, I started feeling bad that I haven't got my garden in yet, so I really focused on that this weekend.

We had our garden party last weekend, and came home with tons of plant starts that needed to get into the ground. Got a bunch in this weekend.

In the ground now are large and small pumpkins, green zucchini, pattypan and yellow squash, green and lemon cukes, watermelon, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, eggplant, chard, and a few basil plants.

We only got in about 30 toms instead of the 45 or so we had last year. This year we are focusing on the squashes- should have tons of those! I am hoping the melons grow this year. I had only one watermelon last year- it only got as big as a softball, and never ripened.

Going into pots tomorrow are strawberries and peppers. Also need to plant the celery and cantelope starts.

Still need to get in beans, greens (lettuces and spinich), radishes, carrots, and beets. All the beds are worked up, though they need some horse doo asap.

I could have easily killed and had for supper one of the Girl's chickens. She has been getting out of the run and sleeping under my blueberry bushes. I would not mind this, but she ate all the tender little white flowers off 2 of the bushes. Now, the deal is, I haven't had to share my blueberries with anyone in my family- they all know how much I love them, and the bushes are always my birthday presents. So to have her dingbat bird eat the flowers off was just untolerable. Good thing I don't have a gun, because I just might have used it on this bird!

We have baby plums this year, and my baby fig tree has 13 figs on it!!! This is the first year it has given me fruit! I love figs as much as blueberries, so this is very exciting.

I have seen a few baby pears, but not as many as I was hoping for.

Tons to do in the garden, but thought I would give a bit of an update as to what is done.
TTFN,
LB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! I was wondering how your garden was coming. Watermelon! I was thinking I might try that, keep it in the greenhouse, maybe in a pig pot or trench box, see if it gets the heat and sun it wants that way. Thanks for the motivation! Did you start from seed or "starts"?.

Bless that sweet chicken. Did she at least do some fertilizing while she was out and about?

Are your fig babies from a Granillo start? I love it when the garden sharing results in treasure!

Enjoy your day ~ and thanks for sharing.

...more pictures please! I miss your garden ~ it is so delightful, especially this time of year.

P :)

Needleroozer said...

Pretty much everything I got in the ground this weekend was from starts I bought at our local nursery, with the exception of the catelope, which was from Lowe's.

The fig babies are Granillo-bred. I am so excited that they are actually producing fruit!!!

I think watermelon would love your greenhouse! I really hope mine does well- I have never been successful at any of the melons- we shall see.
LB