Monday, April 02, 2007

Update: From the Studio Depths

Well, today was another day where I was in the studio as much as I could be, when not doing laundry or looking over schoolwork with the kids. I was organizing some more- kind of the second layer approach. When I first took over this space, I just shoved everything on a shelf or in a cupboard, but there was no rhyme or reason to it. I could never find what I was looking for, and I don't think I have been spending as much time down here due in some part to this lack of organization. I have been reading the book, Organizing Your Craft Space, by Jo Packham, which I happened upon when the kids and I were in the craft store the other day. I had seen the book before, but it didn't have much impact on me, other than to induce drooling over the amazing studio spaces in the photos! But now that I have my own studio space, I found it extremely inspiring.

In the book, they show studios where the artist primarily works on one art, whether it be mosaics, rubber stamping, collaging, or quilting. I got lots of ideas, but what was missing was a section on organizing a studio where you do many arts! I have a small space down here, but am doing my best to keep it organized. I think that may jumpstart some creativity in its own right.

The studio looks much better now, and I am ready for a day of labeling. When I get that part done, I will take pics. I also will have something fun to show you- I have been painting the cement wall today. Just kinda happened. My mom gave me her acrylic paints and brushes- a big box full. That's what started it. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always, always, always wanted to paint a mural. Guess I can finally have my way with a wall. :-)

While I was getting the link for the book above, I found this one too, by the same outhor. Looks like a good read as well.

I have begun to think about a name for the studio. Something with a turtle in the title, as they are significant to me. I'll let you know when I have a couple for you to help me audition.

Ok, just wanted to let you know I was alive and fairly well. Neck is still constantly achey, but I can now function all day and work through it. Maybe later this week, I can get back into the garden.
TTFN,
LB

No comments: