Thursday, March 23, 2006

Thursday

It is spring here! It is still cool and wet, but it feels like spring!

I really need to start being integrity, and being up earlier. This is the time of year it gets easier for me to actually get up and function in the mornings. It is a challenge not being a morning person. I am not good at being smiley and warm and sunny first thing. Cheerful parent smoothly controling the morning routines and rituals? Not. It just so happens that the cheerful one leaves every morning. But I can do it, and want to be it. I have been doing the reading at night lately, and I am enjoying it, and it makes me want to get back to reading aloud them in a regular fashion. I miss it, and think it might help the way our mornings are going if I were to ease them into the day a little with reading and hugging on the couch. Now the hard part will be to train myself to do it without tipovers!

Off to take the Boy to his morning classes, and then they want to go work at the foodbank. Not sure when schoolwork is going to happen. I wish it wasn't a 30 minute drive- I would just come home and work, but I may end up helping out today. We have really been looking for ways for especially the Boy, but for both of them, to be out in the community in safe ways. The food bank is a good place for them to do it, I just wish it was a 5 minute drive. There is an Indian man working at the food bank, who has noticed I wear Indian clothes. Yesterday (Yes, we delivered food yesterday, after a month away from the foodbank!), he asked me if I liked Indian food, and 20 minutes later, he has me talked into coming and cooking Indian food for them for lunch someday soon. Too funny!! All I had to do was mention stuffed okra or curried eggplant and this man's eyes rolled to the back of his head. You know, you read that phrase in books, but I hadn't seen it in a while. Not today, today we will just hand out food, but maybe next time.

The other factor about volunteering is schoolwork. As important as volunteering is, isn't school supposed to be more so? Although I have to admit that it seems like the kids and myself are gaining many more insights into good character than we are declining latin. But there is just so much to be done, and the Boy has play practice twice a week in the afternoons, in addition to being gone for 2 hours every morning. I cannot wait for next year. Whatever else we do, we won't be doing it through the school district. Just got to manifest a french horn. As soon as we have one, he can quit band. It isn't that the teachers aren't hardworking or anything like that, but more that his horn teacher thinks he would be learning more in a small group of other french-hornists than he can in a middle/high school band experience.

Okay, rambling now. Off to do some more laundry, pet a kitty or two (and lift them off of laundry baskets), and pack snacks for the day. Have a great one, and yes, I will try to blog regularly.
LB

No comments: