Saturday, December 03, 2005

Burned socks sad kidlets, and punkin pies

Question of the day: What is the wierdest thing you or your kids have put in the microwave?

I was in the kitchen cooking bacon this morning. Boy came through, headed for the microwave. He turns around to face me, lets out a sigh, holds up two socks which have brown burnt marks on the heels and toes, and says in his charming, matter-of-fact way, "I was just warming my socks in the microwave, and they started to burn! I guess that wasn't such a good idea." He walks out of the kitchen, holding the socks at arms length. I was good. I said nothing. I am just glad he only put them in for 1 minute. With the bacon cooking, I didn't smell anything!

The kids are a bit upset today. We were supposed to go visit the Godparents last weekend, but rescheduled to today, due to me being sick. This morning, Godfather calls to say they have 3 inches of snow on the ground, and their power is out, but we can come anyway. Just as Papa is walking in the door with newly purchased tire chains in his hands, GF calls again, and says he just found out the power outage is going to take a long time to fix, so they would rather drive the hour to visit us. Great, I say, and set the bacon in the oven and enlist the entire family's help in picking up the living room. After a week of me being sick, it looks very pitiful. Fifteen minutes and a beautiful living room later, GF calls again, and says it has been dumping snow like crazy since he called last, and they are worried about driving home in it. Even though it means we probably won't see them till after the New Year, we cancel for the day.

The kids alternate between sobbing and sulking for the next ten minutes, and then they seem to be better. These are their two most favorite people in all the world, and they just don't get to see them often enough, so I can't blame them for being upset. I am going to have to figure out a way to see more of them next year.

I threw some chicken thighs, wine,onions garlic, tomatoes, and a can of Trader Joe's Moroccan simmer sauce in the crock pot a while I was cooking the bacon, and with the snacks that Papa bought when he went out for the chains, we should be set for a fun evening-maybe not as much fun as spending it with the Godparents, but hey, we're fun too!

Now, Girly and I are in the kitchen, where she is making the punkin pie she promised GF (We might as well enjoy it!), and she is even doing the crust herself! I am supervising while I type this. Papa and Boy-o are outside working on the latest house project- I think they are working on replacing the basement windows. We have more movies to watch tonight- Monster In Law, and Madagascar. The kids chose Polar Express last night instead, and we all just loved it. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. I hope Madagascar is as good. I hope we can at least get a silly laugh out of Monster in Law, too.

Well, I think it's time for a Saturday afternoon nap.
LB

6 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Dear LB.

I pray you will feel better soon!

We haven't even seen Polar Express.

I am slacking in the movie dept lately!

Donna

Needleroozer said...

Thanks for the well-wishes, Donna! I have never had a headache this long before.
I think Katie will like both of these kids movies- my kids really liked them. And polar Express had a really sweet message while being true to the picture book. Tom Hanks is such a great guy.
LB

J-Lynn said...

Thanks for the words of encouragmenet at my blog LB. I couldn't imagine how hard the vit B shots would be on top of everything else. Thank goodness the kids are worth it eh? lol Especially since she can produce a mean pumpkin pie nowadays. ;-)

I'm sorry you guys had to cancel. I hate changing things at the last minute and the disappointment it brings. I hope all of you had a wonderful evening together.

Oh and when we visited NY last year my 3yo spilled something on his shirt. We were at my grandmothers house and she directed us to put the shirt in the microwave after rinsing the spots out. We obeyed at her reassurance she does it all the time and we all had a good laugh when the shirt came out very holy and burnt.

Thanks for the recommendation of Polar Express, we love the book and I took the kids last year but Isabelle was only a year and didn't quite make it through so I spent most of the time in the lobby. We'll have to rent it this season.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

J-Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

I'm sorry you've been sick! And double sorry your plans got cancelled. Sound reasoning doesn't make it any easier for a child missing their grandparents, does it?

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm sure looking forward to reading yours.

Mindy Buller said...

Welcome to blogland, LB!! I hope you feel better soon. Have a great day.