Sunday, January 08, 2006

Brusell sprouts for Janie

Hey Janie,
I did reply to your post this morning, but it seems to have dissapeared into the internet ether. I also went to your blog, and for some reason, the links on your sidebar were missing. So...... here is, for the 3rd time, how I fix brussel sprouts. I should have just posted it here in the first place! ;-)

I cut the ends off the sprouts, and cut the bigger ones in half. Put them in a cast iron skillet, slick them with a bit of olive oil, and put them in a preheated hot over, 450 to 500 degrees.
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, toss and turn, then 10 to 15 minutes more. You can also add sliced onion and garlic to extend this as a side dish. I serve them with a sprinkling of kosher salt and lemon juice. This is the only way I make brussel sprouts anymore, and is bascially how I cook all my veggies. Roasting at a high heat is the way to go. I learned this technique from the book Roasting, A Simple Art by Barbara Kafka.

Let me know how they turn out!
LB

5 comments:

Janie said...

Thanks, Needleroozer! (Btw, can you refresh my memory as to how you came up with that handle!)

I steamed the fresh bs we had Sat. and mixed in some vinegar. They were really good. I like bs anyway but have only had the frozen ones.

Today, I'm getting some more fresh ones and trying it your way. I think I'll throw in some almonds too, as someone else suggested.

Thanks!
Janie

Needleroozer said...

Mornin' Janie,
Check this out to figure out the origins of Needleroozer. If you are not familiar with this book, you should be. It is one of the best!
LB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395520185/qid=1136818727/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-6567931-9496637?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Crissy said...

Mmmm. That sound really good.

I'll have to give your recipe/method to my sister. Brusell sprouts are her very favorite vegetable.

Or better yet, maybe I'll invite her to dinner and make them for her.

What other veggies do you cook this way? Zucchini, maybe?

Crissy

Needleroozer said...

Yes, zucchini are very good this way, especially those sweet tiny ones you get from Trader Joe's.
Cauliflower and thickly-sliced carrots are good with onions and garlic. Shallots and onions with red and yellow peppers.
These are just a few ideas. If you like cauliflower, I can post my best-ever cauliflower recipe sometime.
LB

Crissy said...

Oh, please do. We LOVE cauliflower.

Crissy