Friday, January 27, 2006

She's leavin' on a jet plane.......

oh no she just threw up again. Oh will he let her go? My apologies to the memory of John Denver, but I couldn't quite resist.

It was 6:00-ish and Papa and I were just getting the Girl signed in at the airport ticketing desk, when she leans into me and says she needs to go to the bathroom. I tell her I do too, and we will take care of that as soon as she is signed in. The next thing I know she is vomiting on my arm. Thank goodness Papa was able to come with us this morning. He ends up having her use her canvas tote bag to contain the mess, while I finish getting her checked in. The man behind the counter almost didn't let her get on the plane- "Is she gonna do that again?" "Oh I hope not sir, usually once is enough. She is just gut-reactive and this is how she handles stress. This is her first time flying in 7 years, and her first time alone." He looked at me, then over at poor Papa dealing with the Girl, at the trail of barf on the floor, and then back at me. It was a tense moment. I almost added to the trail. Then he says, "Okay, just don't feed her breakfast next time." "Yes sir!"

We make a break for the nearest bathroom for a quick cleanup, where poor Girl is apologizing up and down and backwards too. I hug her and we get through it and make the long trek to her gate. We just make it- she is the last person on board, and was supposed to be the first. The two of us watch her plane taxi off, and make our way back to the car. Phew! I hope she will be okay on the flight, and I hope she calls me as soon as she gets in. Papa loaned her his cell phone for just that purpose. She is growing up so fast.

I tell ya', I think I eventually would get used to it, but the Girl was not the only one stressed by the airport. I was a bundle of nerves the whole time!!! My guts are in a knot, my neck hurts, and I am all keyed up! I need some tea!

Now to talk about the remaining child. Our Boy was really upset last night- he was supposed to perform a french horn solo in a school band concert, but when we got there, there was a note on the door saying it was cancelled due to a bomb threat!!! I am telling you, this is the high school where Boy was going to attend band next year. We had already decided that he won't be doing that after all, and last night just confirmed to me that we made the right decision!

Boy has some schoolwork to do this morning (no band or drama today), and then I am going to have him pick something fun for us to do this afternoon. I wonder what he will pick?

For now, I am going to fix him some breakfast while he does his chores, and then try to get some studying in while he does his. Nice normal, calming activities to destress me. Talk to you later.
LB

5 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Not that I know of. Do you want a clue?

Needleroozer said...

Aack! Becca, I tried to post a comment on your blog, but I guess I can't be anonomous on there. Will try again some time, but I hear you about reading the same series again and again. I read 5 of the Oz books last year, before I needed a break. Now I feel like I'd like to read more. Maybe after we finish Drifthouse.
LB

Dy said...

I have never had an airline employee question the whole puking thing. Um, don't they have air sickness bags for just that reason?

I'm glad she had no further incidents and arrived safely. {{hugs}}

Dy

Needleroozer said...

Yes, but usually the barf bags are for when you are ON the plane, not standing at the ticket counter, lol. It's funny, because she wasn't the only nervous one- I could see the same look on other faces as well, so it is not just her and me that felt like puking.
She called today and is having a great time.
LB

J-Lynn said...

I'm glad she arrived barf free and is having a good time. I remember the first time I flew alone. I was 15 and there was a delay with the layover. I ate some greasy pizza and had stomach cramps the whole next flight. As soon as I got into my aunts car in Arizona I promptly threw up EVERYTHING into a McDonalds bag. aAhhhhh the memories...lol

Hope she has a wonderful time and an easier time coming back!