Monday, January 09, 2006

Look at the birdy!

I just picked up another study kit from the Burke. This one is titled Bird Identification. It is packed tightly and neatly in a huge Rubbermaid box. I haven't opened it all up yet, but there is a checklist on top. Here is just a partial list of what it includes: Wings from a red-shafted flicker, a barn owl, a seagull, a varied thrush, a red-winged blackbird, and a sawhet owl; claws of a wren, a stellar's jay, and an owl; and the head of a barn owl. Complete bird specimens include a cedar waxwing, evening grosbeak, a violet-green swallow, and a rufus hummingbird. There is also a copy of Eyewitness books: Bird, the Field Guide to the Birds of North America (which we own and I highly recommend), and an intense looking teacher's guide. Whew! What did I get myself in for?! ;-) This looks like a lot of fun, and lots of learning. We are meeting tomorrow, and will probably meet a couple more times in the two weeks we have the kit.

The kids are doing their latin and math right now, so while it is quiet (and they aren't looking over my shoulder), I am going to do a little studying to get ready for tomorrow!
LB

7 comments:

Crissy said...

You know, LB, you might enjoy a book I read last year, Rare Encounters With Ordinary Birds (Lyanda Lynn Haupt), while you all are studying the Burke kit.

The Author is the former education director for the Seattle Audubon Society. KCLS carries it.

Crissy

Needleroozer said...

Thanks, Crissy.
I just put it on hold. We had a great time with the study kit today- there were about 12 different wings, and it was fun to compare all of them. There were 2 bird heads- it was wierd to hold them. I got a little wigged at first, but them regained composure, but not before all the kids had got a good giggle at me, lol.
LB

Dy said...

*WHINE*

I want to live close enough for the boys to enjoy this stuff with you! (Because the Good Lord knows I'll never get around to doing it!)

You. Are. So. Cool.

Dy

Delaina said...

That sounds like a wonderful kit! And the hands on will really make a huge impact. We are getting ready to study birds and other flying creatures so I'm looking for any help I can find. I'm so excited.

"Wigged" That made me wonder where you're from. LOL My brother and I used to say wiggin' out a lot growing up. You saying that brought back memories ;-).

Have lots of fun with your kit!

Needleroozer said...

Dy,
I know, I know! I wish you were here, too. I keep saying if only you were as in love with the NW as you are the SW.....

Delaina,
I am from righ'chere, don't ya' know. Born in Oregon, lived here in WA all my life (except for that brief stint in NJ). Where are you from that you get wigged out, too?
LB

Delaina said...

LOL!

I wigged out in Virginia. I lived in Norfolk, VA for a while during my preteen and teen years. It wasn't a good environment at all. I'm so glad to be outta there. I do miss the way they talked though. I'm in Georgia and have adapted to the language here. I can no longer understand people who speak fast. It's sad.

I have a dear friend from Oregon. She always wanted me to fly back home with her to see some of the sites. Maybe I'll have that opportunity in the future. We'll see.

Needleroozer said...

I was actually born in Tillamook Oregon, out on the coast. That's where I go when I need to go "home". I get an actual need to go to the ocean about once a year.
LB