Friday, January 13, 2006

Friday the 13th, part 2

For the record, I love Friday the 13th. My mom was born on a Friday the 13th, so it has always been a good day for me, no superstitions here.

So, the rest of our day went pretty smoothly, too. The zoo was great! Because of the rain, there was hardly anyone there. Just gotta love that. We spent the entire 2 hours in the reptile and nocturnal houses. There was a keeper going from window to window, cleaning and checking the animals, and the kids just followed him, enrapt. They were fascinated when Mr. Zookeeper used the long snake stick thing to gently hold back the rattler when he was cleaning the enclosure. They loved it when he lifted two lizards out in one hand, and watched intently as he examined the pond turtle as he removed it. They also loved it when he sprayed water towards them and made faces at them occassionally.

I had an interesting converesation with a zookeeper who was telling me all about the recent illness and then recuperation of the tree kangaroos, a pair about 17 yrs old. She also told me that the little armadillo we are all so fond of watching is named Edward. Edward is hillarious to watch- he runs around and around and around and around. He crawls through tubes, digs into the underbrush, then digs back out again, then runs around and around and around some more.

When we went into the nocturnal house, they were enthralled once more. They found Edward and watched him for some time. I had fun watching the porcupines (they don't call me Needleroozer for nothin'!), and was, as usual surprised by thier agility and climbing ability. We spent a long time looking at the bats, as they were the focus of our visit today. We all did semi-blind (very dark in the nocturnal house, ya know) contour drawings of them, and just sat there in awe at how beautiful they are. They look so fluffy and soft, and then there are those wings! When they stretch out, you can see the veins, and get a good look at their fingers!

Then we went to the cafe, and ate dried fruit, strawberries, and carob-covered raisins. We looked at each others' drawings, and found them quite impressive for having been done in the dark. A few minutes of at the playground time for the kids, while we two moms talked curriculum (but of course!), and a few more minutes in the zoostore, where the girl bought a stuffed komodo dragon, and then we were off.

We found a used bookstore near the zoo, and spent a delightful 45 minutes checking out their entire collection. The kids and I reminisced about books they loved as toddlers- they even made me read Jamberry by Bruce Degan to them. As many times as I read it over and over again when they were little, I never get tired of reading that book! And did you know Alexandra Day has a new Carl book out? Carl's Sleepy Afternoon. I will have to get that one some day- yes, I still have all the kids' board and picture books. I am saving them for the future grandbabies! Anyhow, it was a fun way to spend some time. The Boy used all his spending money to buy a 4 book series that I can't remember the name of, but that he has wanted for some time.

By now, we had used up enough time that we could stop by and pick Papa up from work. We stopped by the store to pick up a bag of salad, and came out with $60. worth of food!! Funny how that works! Headed home, fixed salads using leftover chicken from last night, and plopped in front of the tube to watch Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty. We had watched Here Comes Mr. Jordan a couple of months ago, so we thought this remake would be fun to see as well. It was. It is so cool to be able to watch movies with the kids that aren't always animated or juvenile in nature. I also love to be able to use the library system to check out movies- when your budget is tight, it is very convenient!

The kids are tucked in now, they need to get up at our regular time tomorrow. Remember when I was so sick after Thanksgiving and we had to cancel our plans with the Godparents? Well, they called this week and said they have this weekend free, so we are going to drive out there tomorrow to spend the day with them. I bought sandwich makings tonight, and will take the rest of the strawberries and make a pie there. We will also take some of the new games Santa brought us for Christmas. Should be fun!


Okay, new topic. You all know I lost my respite care job at the beginning of December, and I have been adjusting to not working for the last month. There have been some definate advantges to being completely home. I miss the challenge, and I miss the little bit of money I made doing it, but all in all, I don't miss the stress of the job. I thought I might just throw myself into teaching, momming, and maybe throw some art time in there too. Well..........

I found out at the beginning of this week that there is an opening for a library page at the local library, just about 5 minutes from our house. It is for 8 hours a week, and is just about the same hourly wage I made at respite care- with far fewer responsiblities and I think, less stress. Duties include shelving books, tidying library, helping patrons occasionally. This is the job I wanted two years ago when we first moved to this house, but this is the first opening for a page there has been in hat time. That is why I took the respite care job in the first place.
I tried to put it out of my mind, but it didn't seem to work. I wasn't sure how Papa would react, but I told him about it tonight. He encouraged me to apply. The deadline to apply is the girl's birthday, the 23rd of this month. I have a couple of days to think about it. It would most likely be 2 to 3 evenings a week, from 6 to 9 pm. I would miss dinner and storytime those nights, but Papa would be home to watch the kids.

I don't really want to work, but you know, the Girl wants to go to Interlochen music camp this summer, and Boy wants to take those summer classes at the UW. Boy needs his own french horn, and Girl wants a cello. I know it isn't much, but $300. a month would really help out with things like that. I have musical kids, and there are things they are going to need.

What do you guys think? I have enjoyed not working, and wonder if it has had an impact on the kids. Boy just seems so much more willing to do his schoolwork lately, and we have had a few less discipline issues. But this would be working in the evenings, not during their school hours. Hmmmmmmm.

Well, I promised myself I would start reading Count of Monte Cristo tonight, and I also need to get to bed at a reasonable time (I am actually already there, snuggled in with my wonderful laptop), so I will sign off. I am not checking for typos, so there! Have a great day tomorrow!
LB

6 comments:

Crissy said...

I think it sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, LB.
You'll enjoy that time doing your own work again, and you'll be able to cover those extra costs with the income.

I encourage you to apply.
Now, go read.

Good night,
Crissy

Amy said...

Yeah! Another COMC reader. It's good. Long, but good.

I'll weigh in on the other side as Crissy against the job. If you can swing the money for the things you guys really want without doing it, then I say don't.

Of course, I'm coming off of 4 years of indentured servitude, I mean owning a business, and my attitude may be slightly skewed.

What does your hubby think?

Mindy Buller said...

What a wonderful place to work!! I always wanted to work in a library. Plus, the kids could always come visit you and find a cozy corner to read. It sounds great. Keep us posted.

Needleroozer said...

Thanks for youur thoughts ladies!
Amy, one of the reasons I am even thinking of this as a possiblity is the lack of responsiblity involved.
And as my dh works for a University, the money situation is quite tight. These are extra expenses that we are having a hard time budgeting for. Funny- I thought maybe dh wouldn't like the idea- I was afraid to even broach it so soon after losing the other job, but he thinks it is a great idea. He knows I really enjoy contributing to the family in some monetary way, and that I enjoy books and chatting with people. He thinks it would be the perfect job. We shall see. Now I need to make up a resume!!
Mindy- this is one of the reasons this would be a great job- they can come with me. I have also thought they might enjoy volunteering like Crissy's son does.
Crissy- is there a minimum age for volunteering? I will have to ask my librarians.
LB

J-Lynn said...

Well, I'd be just as torn as you are. I tried to go to school full-time when Craig (#3) was an infant. I remember being pulled in different directions - I hated that.

But you are just going a few hours a week. And the money isn't bad. Do you thrive on social interaction? Sometimes that recharges me but on the other hand I absolutely hate *having* to be anywhere if I don't want to. If I'm warm and cozy and it's cold outside, if one of the kids are sick, etc...

I dunno. Will your DH do things for you while you're gone? The bedtime routines, dinner, cleanup? If he doesn't do it well (especially the cleanup) that may be more stress to come home too. BTW, you dont' have to answer that, just things to think about.

Personally, even though I do enjoy some "me" time and I like being around people I only enjoy it on my own terms (that sounds so bad). I don't even enjoy working from home. I feel my ONLY stress, job, task is my husband, kids, and the house. I like it that way.

But you are you, and not me. And you have to decide what will work well for you in the long term. I wish you the best of luck in what you decide - HUGS!

Crissy said...

No minimum age in the King County system, LB.
Jeffrey is just eleven, and they are thrilled to have him there every week.
He just had a bit of paperwork to fill out, and had to complete a background check.

Crissy