Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Random Wednesday evening thoughts

Hey there, friends.
Sorry I haven't posted much in the last two days, I was kinda fighting a bit of depression and apathy. I seem to have come out of it a bit today, and am feeling pretty good at the moment. I refuse to even write about yesterday, I was irritable, the Boy was a typical teenager, and it was not a smooth or good day. So here is today, which went a bit better, in no particular order.

It has been really hard for me to wake up these last two mornings. I have spent most of the day feeling exhausted. Papa is complaining of the same thing, so I think we may be fighting some flu bug. The Boy is doing horn practice right now, the Papa Dude is practicing his guitar, trying to work up his blisters (he so loves it, Dave!), and the Girl is doing the dinner dishes. After that, I will try to finish the last two chapters of Drifthouse, and we will all turn in early.

It took us over two hours to do our food bank deliveries today, and we only had eight to do. We had some troubles getting into one of the apartment buildings, but we managed. It is good for the kids to see me do some real life problem-solving (i.e. going next door to the barber shop and asking any of the men in there if they had keys. 3 of the 4 men in the shop did, so we lucked out.). The folks at the food bank sent us home with some lovely salmon steaks that I am sure we will enjoy later this week. The folks who work there are so warm and wonderful. I have a date with them next Thursday, to cook lunch for all the workers. Guess what they want me to cook? Go on, guess. Yep. Indian food, especially eggplant, lol.

After that, I spent most of the afternoon reading and doing laundry. Now there is a ton of it ready to be folded. Anyhow, I haven't been spending time with the Count of Monte Cristo like I probably should be, but rather have been enjoying some mind candy in the form of a couple of Elm Creek Quilts books. I am in the middle of The Sugar Camp Quilt right now. Sometimes candy is good for the soul. I let the kids be (or not) be their own integrity, and they spent the whole afternoon in their rooms, doing (or not) their schoolwork.

I did make it outside late this afternoon, after putting a meatloaf and some baked potatoes in the oven. In the time it took for them to cook, I worked up half of what will be the root garden. If I spend even more time out tomorrow, I could probably have the whole thing turned and planted. I think tomorrow I will have the kids come outside and help me garden. That kind of work is just as important as schoolwork, right? I have so much gardening to do, and this month-long period of apathy hasn't helped me get any of it done. Time to just function and be what I want to be, regardless of how I feel. That is if I want to see anything growing in my gardens this summer, or get any quilting done!

In the short time I was outside, I was serenaded by a robin, who sat in the top of the newly budding birch tree. I also saw several chickadees, and one of them even visited the bird feeder that Papa and the kids hung in the apple tree this weekend. Cool!

Oh, that reminds me that I need to post a new "Bird of the month" photo. I will try to do that tomorrow. I was thinking of heading up to my mom's tomorrow, I know she would love to see me, and the kids are aching to play with their cousins, but I would really like to stay home and garden. We shall see.

Well, that's about it for today. There are questions I was supposed to answer, and Diane wanted me to talk about my fave Indian recipes, but I am poopin' out here, so will sign off, and crawl into flannel jammies and get ready to read. My fave ol' ratty quilt is waiting for me in the big rocking chair, Papa will light the oil lamp for me, the kids will have brushed and flossed, and I will get to practice my reading voices- a french pirate, a sophisticated parrot, a mermaid, and an octopus-like mermaid queen-witch. If that peeks your interest, check out the book Drifthouse. I am tellin' ya', it is a fun story.

May you get lots of rest tonight, and I wil see you tomorrow.
TTFN,
LB

No comments: