Thursday, August 02, 2007

High School Meme

Saw this over at Writing and Living. I really didn't like high school much- I had been to a private (7th Day Adventist) school for all 10 years. There were 10 kids in my 10th grade class- 210 in the whole school! There were more than that in one grade at the high school. I started at Lake Washington High as a Junior, and it seemed so big to me! My parents were not supportive of my education, my home life was, well, I hate to say it, now that my mom and I get along so well, but it was sheer dysfunctional hell. My friends and their parents, many of whom I am still friends with today, got me through.

As I go back and read my answers, I see that there are many different stories here- almost one for each question, if I chose to tell them. I always had the story that high school was hell, and the only good thing about it was my group of friends. I know now, that for most of us, it was hell, but looking back on it now, with dimming faculties, it doesn't seem so bad- compared to some of the things that have happened to me as an adult. Especially since I have forgiven my parents and come to terms with this part of my life- it was my life that sucked, not the high school.

I won't tag anyone, but I would love it if you did this one. But if you were a perky cheerleader, or LOVED high school, or would LOVE to go back, I may hate you for a minute or twelve.

1. Who was your best friend?
I had a lot of close friends, but Mary Johnson was the best. She married her high school sweetheart, and I am still friends with both of them. When we get together, it is like we have never been apart. I see her every couple of months. I love her to pieces. Big D and I were close too, but got closer when he was in college.

2. Did you play any sports?
Good. God. No.

3. What kind of car did you drive?
No car. I live 2 blocks from the high school. I didn't drive till I was 22. Mary had a car senior year.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you?
At Mary's or Jeff Lang's house, or tping a friend's house, or at a Mormon dance- best dances ever!

5. Were you a party animal?
Yeah. We held most of our parties at Jeff Lang's house. His mom was wonderful for allowing her house to be the hangout. The parties got a bit wild when everyone (but me, sigh) was in college, but she still put up with us.

6. Were you considered a flirt?
I don't know. Probably not.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir?
Nope. Many of my classes at the SDA school didn't count for credit, so I didn't get to take any electives- too busy trying to fit the required classes in.

8. Were you a nerd?
Nope. Wasn't super popular, but found a great group of kids to hang out with, somewhere in the middle between popular and geek. Still friends with many of them. Big D, whom I blog about occasionally is one of them.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled?
Nope. I would bend the rules occasionally, but wasn't much of a rule-breaker.

10. Can you sing the fight song?
I didn't even know the fight song when I was *IN* high school. I only went to the games because my friends played in the band, and I liked Louie Louie.

11. Who was your favorite teacher?
I had two: Mr. Jones. Speech teacher. He was gorgeous and kind. I was painfully shy and really struggled. He helped. Mrs. Ulch, spanish teacher. She was a 7th Day Adventist, too. We related.

12. What was your school mascot?
A purple and gold kangaroo. Honest.

13. Did you go to the Prom?
Junior year, Mary and I took each other out to a fancy dinner and a movie (World According to Garp, if memory serves). We had a ball. Senior year I went with Scotty, my high school sweetie, but only because his mother forced us.


14. If you could go back, would you?
Good God no! I sometimes have nightmares about being in high school!

15. What do you remember most about graduation?
Being handed the little scroll and not knowing if I had graduated or not (I was going to drop out, but Mary and Scotty talked me out of it, so I turned in 7 major papers on the last day of school. FYI, I passed, but barely.)

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day?
I don't remember. If I did skip, I was with my friends, but I don't think I did.

17. Did you have a job your senior year?
Many jobs. My main job was scooping at Baskin-Robbins. I also babysat tons. I paid rent at home so needed to work.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch?
I would get lunch in the cafeteria and then bring it to the commons to eat with my friends.

19. Have you gained weight since then?
Yes. I was always round, and I have gone up and down since then. Right now I am 50 lbs more than in high school. What would Scotty think?? Somehow I don't think he would be appalled.

20. What did you do after graduation?
Got my first apartment, where my rent was cheaper than what my mom charged me. Worked 4 jobs- as a teaching assistant at a private school, ran and supervised a church nursery, part-time nanny-share with two families, and the ice cream store. I also helped out at Mary's mom's daycare sometimes. Also took classes at the voc. tech. Whew!!!

21. What year did you graduate?
1983

22. Who was your Senior Prom Date?
Scotty. He proposed to me that night. It was the only good thing that happened that night- the rest of it was a story that deserves a post all on its own.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion?
Nope. Do they do one for 25? Or is it 30? I might like to go if I lost a bit of this weight, mostly just to see Scotty and other friends I have lost touch with (I guess that is what it is all about). I still have a soft spot for him in my heart after all these years. He was a good fella. I sorta wanted to go to the ones in the past, but I let the facts that they are pricey and that my Dude wouldn't come with me stop me from going.

3 comments:

Mistress of Hatton House said...

I so could not do this Meme. Too many memories that need a shrink!

But...it was helpful to know that somewhere, someone else's mother charged rent. :) Mine started at age 14 when I got my first job that took out taxes. I also had to pay my siblings to d the chores that I could not do to the time constraint of working 25 hrs/week and maintaining school work. Seriously, as an adult I have never met anyone who's parents charged them rent! People just look at me funny if it ever gets brought up.

Needleroozer said...

Wow! I never thought I would meet another person who went through this either! Wow. We are buddies, now, we too. Rent at the age of 14 (me too!) buddies.
I guess that is what surprised me- that I was willing to do this meme in the first place- I guess I am doing better than I thought!
LB

Mistress of Hatton House said...

Hey, I didn't realize you couldn't view my profile and blog when you clicked my name. I think you can now! :)

I will soon put a few of my artistic ventures on there too, but the 2nd blog is my thesis project and I can argue with the best that architecture and restoration is art!