Tuesday, August 21, 2007

WIP-PSI's Four Seasons

Ok, so here are the sheets of embellished fabric that I will turn into Plus Size Inchies (PSI's). They were a bit challenging to photograph, as I have two burned out bulbs in the studio (why always in pairs?!), and my camera isn't super. The fabric is meant to represent the four seasons. As usual, feel free to click on the photo to view it larger.

Here is the first one- Spring. There are several batiked fabrics, silk ribbons, skeleton leaves, and many different fibers- everything from embroidery floss to silk wool. I found a green tulle to put on top. Please tell me it reminds you of spring- so many shades of green and yellow, after a long dreary winter.


This one represents summer. I started with a pink and blue batik as the base, and added artificial flowers, pressed flowers, skeleton leaves, acrylic yarn, and threads. I found a pink tulle for the top of this one.










Here is Autumn. I used a leaf-print fabric, and added just a little bit of fiber confetti, some dyed cheesecloth, and skeleton leaves.
This was the simplest of the four pieces.






Okay, here is winter. This one was very fun to do- I was talking to Big D. on the phone, and just creating away. By the time we were done talking, I had a beautiful piece of fabric that really did remind me of winter. For this one, I used a white-on-white fabric, then added silk rods, silk and sheep wool, some fibers, and some Angelina fibers, that really made it sparkle. Now I get to chop the fabrics up, put Timtex between two layers, and create some miniature pieces of art to trade! I have been telling myself for a year now I wanted to take part in a trade or swap, and have been putting it off. No longer. "Real" artists put themselves out there, and share their art! Sorry for the photos being in wierd places, I originally had Winter in the next post.
LB

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really lovely pieces, NR. I can see why doing these pieces feeds your soul. I hope it works out for your family situation to do it!

They are just lovely.

Warmly,
Kate (CA - WTM)

Needleroozer said...

Thanks, Kate.
Actually, these are mostly for fun and to learn the skills- what I want to do for fun and PROFIT is to make 3 panel art screens- look for posts on them in the future!
LB

andie said...

*gasp* I love them! And I'm really much more of a liker-of-pictures-of-concrete-actual-things type of gal...or so I've always thought. I'm surprising myself lately with my tastes. Changing in my old age, I s'pose.

I really, really, really love them.

Yay, you!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Yay, photos! They all turned out great. I think my favorites are spring and summer, maybe because those are my two favorite seasons.

Needleroozer said...

Terri,
Funny- those two were the easier of the four.

Andie,
Thanks for the love. You know what they say about old dogs- start woofin' baby! ;-)
LB

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! Did I miss what you can "do" with these? Do they become wall hangings? (forgive the nonartist here.) I'm envisioning lamp shades, for some reason. And scrapbook covers. and pillows. They are just so lovely.

Needleroozer said...

Hi Kris,
Good to see you here! These pieces could probably be lamp shades (that's an idea I hadn't thought of), but are destined to be Plus-Size Inchies (basically 1.5 in fabric charms) and fabric postcards for trades and swaps. I also am figuring out how to make them into birthday cards.
LB

Bridget said...

I absolutely love these! I do counted cross stitch but I don't think I could do something like this. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Needleroozer said...

Thanks, Bridget.
If I can do it, anyone can- it is just a matter of having the right tools and supplies.
LB

Anonymous said...

Cool ~ thanks for the reminder to click and enlarge the photos

I really likes Autumn....and Spring! Shoulder seasons, yep, that's me :)

P

Amy in Orlando said...

Oooo very cool, LB. Summer is my favorite, I think. Or maybe winter . . .

Needleroozer said...

Thanks Pamela,
I thought of you and your love of green when I was working on the spring.
Amy,
I think summer and winter are my faves, too. Do you want to look at the tutorial for these too? It is on the Fibre and Stitch site.
LB